Kamada Ekadashi is observed during the waxing phase of moon in March/April. In 2021, the date of Kamada Ekadashi is April 23. It is said in the scriptures that observing Kamada Ekadasi will help in getting rid of sins and increasing virtue. The greatness of this Ekadasi fasting was narrated to Yudhishtira by Lord Krishna and is mentioned in the Varaha Purana.
The Vrat is also known as Phalada Ekadasi as people will have their wishes fulfilled after observing it.
Important Points on Kamada Ekadasi?
On this day, Lord Vishnu is worshipped in the Vasudev Form.
Observing this Ekadasi helps in alleviating all problems in life. Bhagavan blesses the devotee with peace and prosperity.
What to do on Kamada Ekadasi Vrat?
The day before Kamada Ekadasi, the person should have a single meal without rice or grains. The devotee should meditate, read stories of Vishnu and chant mantras of Vishnu.On Ekadasi day one should wake up and take bath, then perform puja to Vishnu as per your capability. Simply offering prayers is also more than enough.
The offering to Vishnu on the day include fruits, flowers, til, milk and panchamrut.
The puja is repeated in the evening. At night, you should keep vigil by reading stories of Vishnu especially from Srimad Bhagavad Purana.
Next morning the vrat is ended by taking water or visiting a Vishnu temple.
It is highly meritorious to give food to the needy.
Kamada Ekadasi Special Puja
- Keep a photo or painting of Vishnu on the east side of the house on a red color cloth.
- Light lamp using cow ghee mixed with honey. One wick is preferred.
- Dhoop or Agarbatti should be of chandan.
- Offer red color flowers.
- Offer red chandan – apply tilak using it.
- Offer Tulsi leaves.
- Offer seasonal fruits.
- Sweet prepared using milk and honey should be offered as prasad or Bhog. This should later shared with a cow.
- Chant the below mantra 108 times using a red chandan mala.
- Burning red chandan (red sandalwood powder) and Karpur (Camphor) before Vishnu on the day will help in solving various problems in life.
- For desire fulfilment especially related to materials and body, offer dates (Kajur) to Vishnu on the day and later give it to children.
- For peace, prosperity and good thoughts in life, light 11 wick lamp by mixing kesar and pure cow ghee in the morning or evening.
Kamada Ekadasi Mantra
ॐ नारायाणाय विद्महे वासुदेवाय धीमहि। तन्नो विष्णुः प्रचोदयात्
Om Narayanaya Vidamhe Vasudevaya Deemahi. Tanno Vishnu Prachodayat
Story Associated with Kamada Ekadashi
Legend has it that a Gandharva was unable to perform his duties when his wife was not around. This Gandharva was overpowered by lust and thus failed in his duties and was cursed by a King to become a cannibal. The Gandharva and his wife roamed the forests and one day the wife came across a Sage, who advised them to undertake Kamada Ekadashi fasting for getting rid of the curse.
The Gandharva couple observed the Kamada Ekadashi and the husband was freed from the curse.
You may also like to read