Bizman dies of injuries during raid in Gorakhpur

Gorakhpur: A 36-year-old real estate businessman of Kanpur died after receiving severe injuries when police were checking credentials of guests at a hotel in Gorakhpur on intervening night of Monday and Tuesday. Six policemen, including the police station in-charge, who were present at the scene, have been suspended pending an inquiry into the entire incident.
A friend of the businessman, who was sharing the same room, alleged to have seen the police thrashing his friend before he too was repeatedly slapped and whisked away from the room. He said that the police started thrashing them when they questioned the reason behind disturbing them in the middle of the night.
Police, however, claim that the victim slipped and fell as a result of which he suffered injuries on his face and died during treatment at the hospital.
Deputy inspector general (DIG) Gorakhpur range J Ravinder Gaud told TOI that a postmortem report was awaited to ascertain the exact cause of death. He said that investigations were underway to decipher the sequence of events which eventually ended up in the businessman’s death.
“We have not ruled out anything till now. We are waiting for the post-mortem examination report to establish the cause of death and statements of all those present at the scene before we reach a logical conclusion,” said Goud. The DIG is personally monitoring the probe.
On Monday morning, real estate businessmen Manish Gupta of Kanpur, Pradeep Chauhan and Hardeep Singh Chauhan, both from Gurugram, checked into a hotel in Ramgarhtal area of Gorakhpur. The three had reached Gorakhpur on the invitation of a friend Chandan Saini, a resident of Mahadeva Bazar in Sikriganj area of Gorakhpur. In the evening, the four spent time talking in the room after which Chandan left with plans for sight-seeing with his friends the next morning.
According to Hardeep Singh, it was around midnight when police reached their room and asked him to provide his identity proof. “When I questioned them about the manner in which they had barged in, I was slapped even after I showed them my Aadhaar card. I gave them Chandan’s number and they spoke to him as well. They then woke up Manish who too questioned them on disturbing them so late in the night,” Hardeep said.
On being questioned, the police started thrashing Manish while Hardeep was whisked away out of the room. Minutes later he saw the police dragging Manish out of the room. Manish had blood on his face, said Hardeep, adding that some of the policemen appeared drunk. The police took Manish to the hospital where he died. Later Manish’s father and wife reached Gorakhpur and accused the police of having thrashed the businessman to death.
Taking serious note of the incident, SSP Gorakhpur Vipin Tada said that the police team had visited the hotel as a part of a checking drive across the district. Quoting the policemen who were present at the scene, the SSP said that Manish apparently fell off his bed and got injured as he appeared to be heavily drunk. He, however, suspended all the six policemen who were present at the scene including station house officer of Ramgarhtal police station inspector JN Singh and Phalmandi police post in-charge Akshay Mishra and four constables. SP (city) Gorakhpur has been directed to probe the incident.

Leave a Reply